Wednesday, May 16, 2012

C Room Revealed!

I am so excited to reveal my Little Man's Room to you!  It has been a long time coming.  I would like to say that I was waiting for someone else to finish his/her project, but this one is on me, life just kind of got in the way.  This week C's headboard  arrived, and I was able to pull the whole room together. 


Do you remember the BEFORE?

 

What a difference!  It all started with my curtain fabric.  I start here on most rooms for three reasons:

 1.  It typically requires the most yardage
2. Therefore it is the biggest expense.
3. It is the largest pattern in the room.

Do you remember my budget for this room? I don't! How sad it that! I think it was somewhere between $1000-$1200 for the entire room. I had the mattress, and a few accessories, but everything else was new. As I said above, when I am working on a really tight budget, I start with my curtain fabric. It is not unusual to spend over $1000 on 4 panels. There goes the entire budget.


 This designer fabric was a close out, so I bought 18 yards for $18!  I found lining at JoAnn fabric for 50% off, so I have a total of $81 into all four curtain panels. 


Don't be afraid to mix patterns.  After I find my lead fabric, I pull colors from it and find coordinating fabrics.  If you look closely at the above picture you will see that I have 4 different fabrics in a small space, and they all work together. (If you count the stuffed animals, I have 6 fabrics!) I typically like to have anywhere between 6-10 fabrics working in a space.  I don't stay locked into a specific fabric line with it coordinating fabrics.  Because I am almost always on a budget, I look for coordinating fabrics in any store that sells fabric.  I did not spend more than $3.50 per yard for any fabric in this room. 


Did you catch a glimpse of my second big purchase?  Once I started to pull the room together, the floor needed a little something.  It was feeling to white...so I bought a Dash and Albert rug. It was just the right thing to ground the entire room. I bought a 6x9 foot rug, and it cost around $200.  I love this rug!

Sorry about the IPhone pictures.  (I still need a wide angle lens for my camera).  


After I made my major fabric choices, I picked my paint color.  I had the walls painted Behr Wheat Bread.   Normally I would paint myself, but I was so busy with a curtain project for a client, I hired this one out.  For a little more impact, I painted the headboard wall with an Owl Stencil.  At the end of this post there is a link to a Stenciling Tutorial.



I wanted this room to be a mixture of Mid century meets Southern Traditional.  Several of the large peices in this room are mid century/ midcentury inspired. I love to buy older pieces because they just seem to be better quality than anything I can buy today.  I picked up the desk at a local estate store for $10, I painted the legs black.  My neighbor gave me the chair (much older than 1950's)  I bought the Walter Van Nessen lamps because they are just amazing.  $100 for the pair.


C enjoying his new desk.



My biggest expense was my custom upholstered headboard.  My inspiration was the new Restoration Hardware Headboards.  They are gorgeous! I love the look, but not the price.  So here is my trick...if you are afraid to make one yourself (sorry Kandi!)  Go to your upholstery shop!  I was able to bring in pictures of the headboard I wanted, but I changed the dimensions (I wanted mine taller). I had a custom leather headboard made...you are probably asking yourself LEATHER?  It linen! Yes LEATHER, but I also had a linen slipcover made, pictured above.  I did not have a linen headboard made, because kids can be messy!  If the headboard is linen, and an "ACCIDENT" occurs, then your biggest investment is headed to the landfill!  Leather can be wiped down, and a slipcover can be washed.  The headboard cost me $400 including the leather and the slipcover.  A fraction of the cost one can expect to pay for a prefab linen headboard.


I think C likes his new bed.


Vintage Suitcases act as a side table.


An old fishing creel is used to hold our nightly books.  Did you notice the books under the lamp?  I used two different tables, (or a table and 3 suitcases)on either side of the bed; therefore the lamps are not the same height.  To accommodate I place a couple of books under the lamp.


When working with a neutral color palette, I don't forget texture.  As you look around this room, you will see I have used baskets, old suitcases, metal feed toughs, and vintage toys to give the room some personality.



I love monograms!  They are so Southern! I should because I just bought a really expensive sewing machine so I can monogram all day long!  Before I bought my machine I went to my local embroidery shop, and for $20 I had them monogram two pieces of fabric with C's monogram.  I sewed them into working roman shades.  This might be one of my favorite things in his room. Below is a picture of C's reading chair before I had it reupholstered.  Allen was not thrilled about this decision.  As I had reupholstered the chair only 6 months earlier in a red fabric.  I have to say, I am thrilled I spent another $200 on this fabric upgrade! We all make mistakes!



And here it is after...what do you think?


I love this chair in gray!  It now sits in
C's reading corner.  Complete with an Owl Friend, and a Be Mine Pillow from Woven Home's Pillow Line.


An old feed trough holds a collection of books.

Lastly a new dresser completes the room. I still need to hang the mirror, and change out the hardware.  I was planning on painting this orange, but it looks terrible with the brown leather headboard, so for now, it is going to stay blond. I have learned overtime somethings just don't look good together.  I was going to go ahead and paint the dresser, but I decided to wait until the headboard arrived.  I am so glad I did.  One look at the brown leather and his long orange pillow and I was so happy I had not painted the dresser! 




 Vintage Letters, and Toys complete the dresser's look.


 This project took me so much longer than I had thought it would, but it was all worth it to see my Little Man in his new space.

Here is the breakdown to my budget.
Headboard $400
Dash & Albert Rug $200
Curtains $81
Rods $50
Chair $200
Various Fabric $50
Dresser $100
Accessories $150
Painter + Materials $200
Lights $180

Grand Total= $1611 

Thank you for joining me today.  I hope you were inspired to recreate a little corner of your home.  I would love to know the steps you take for a room makeover. 

I have posted on several of the projects that helped make this room...here are a few links


                                              Owl Friend Tutorial


If you have any questions about my methods  or if you would like me to write a tutorial about any projects, please leave me a comment.

            <3  Rebekah
I linked up at some of these parties...


Motivate Me Monday The Cure for the Common Monday Just Something I Whipped Up Polly Want a Crafter Sew Can Do Boogieboard Cottage DIY Home Sweet Home Brassy Apple Polish the Stars Serendipity and Spice Destination CraftMrs Happy Homemaker Made for You Monday Make it Yourself Monday Ask AnnaC.R.A.F.T.The Southern Institute The DIY ShowoffCraftomaniacRaising 4 Princesses Between Naps on the Porch Bedazzle Me Monday The Life of a Not So Ordinary Wife Make Something Monday * A Diamond in the Stuff Stringtown HomeOrganizing Home Life Tuesday Tutorials Giggles Glitz and Glam Be Inspired Tuesday Time OutA to Zebra Celebrations My Favorite FindsEye HeartOur Delightful Home The Inspiration Board Frugal Treasures Tuesday Too Cute TuesdaySugar and DotsTopsy Turvy Tuesdays Trick or Treat Tuesday Chef in TrainingSugar Bee CraftsHope Studios Tell it to me Tuesday Your Cozy Home Party Turquoise Lovin’Tuesday To Do Party Cherished BlissAnti-Procrastination Tuesdays Type A Adventures of a DIY Mom Show Me What Ya Got Get Your Craft OnNifty Thrifty Tuesday Tuesday Confessional Teagan Travels How to Nest for Less A Bowl Full of Lemons Tuesday Trade OffTip JunkieT2T TuesdayTuesday TreasuresLadybug BlessingsCreative ItchToot your Horn Tuesday Jillify It Tutorial Tuesday Pin Cushion Creations Junk in their Trunk Polkadots on Parade * Laugh Love and Craft Rock N ShareClean & Scentsible The Trendy Treehouse Beyond the Picket Fence School House Scraps The Thrifty Home Sew Woodsy Savvy Southern Style Your Whims Wednesday Wow me Wednesday A Little TipsyWomen Living WellPrimp your Stuff Wednesday Show and Share Mrs. Fox’s Sweet Party Whatever goes Wednesday Live.Laugh.RoweAdventures in Dinner Easy Digital Scrapbooking Mom on Timeout The CSI Project Share Your Cup Thursday Fabulously FlawedIt’s Sew Stinking Cute The Shabby Creek Cottage The Crafty Blog Stalker Christina’s Adventures Crafty Scrappy Happy Embracing Change52 Mantels Bear Rabbit Bear The Vintage Farmhouse Bloom DesignsA Turtles Life for Me The Taylor House Rhinestone BeagleSchoolhouse Scraps The Brambleberry Cottage * The Shabby NestTidy MomJoyful StamperMy Simple Home Life RemodelaholicDelicate Construction Happy Hour Projects Chic on a Shoestring Decorating 504 Main Hating Martha The Creative Paige Here Comes the Sun Cookie Nut Creations Bacon TimeJoy in the JumbleThe Grant LifeDotted Line Crafts Love Notes by Lauren Raising OrangesMaking LemonadeRedoux InteriorsSassy SitesOne Artsy MommaMy Romantic HomePetals to PicotsPandoras Craft Box My Repurposed Life French Country Cottage At the Picket Fence Just Us FourMommas Kinda Crafty CraftionaryKitchen Fun With My 3 Sons Just Us 4Sweet Tooth Friday 30 Handmade Days Lovely Crafty Home Mama Mias Heart to Heart Homemaker in Heels Family Ever After Lady Bird LaneSerenity You The Gingerbread Blog Cherished Treasures Re-made Just Right Under the Table & Dreaming The Sweet talk Shop Sassafrass Salvation Simple as That My 1929 Charmer Heatherly Loves The Sasse Life Joy 2 Journey The Foley







61 comments:

  1. Everything about this room is AMAZING!!!
    But that owl stencil is my fave & is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! It's really such an elegant and grown up room for a little boy! All your little details come together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! The owl theme is just tooo adorable! Hope you will hop on over to my under 300 follower hop @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/05/under-300-followers-blog-hop-2.html
    I am your newest follower~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this room. It's absolutely perfect. I would love for you to stop by and link up to my party (it's still going on from yesterday...just scroll past today's post). What a lucky boy to have this room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Amie Ann from Pinkapotamus and Judy I linked up to both of your parties! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy's Blog is DIY by Design. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing!! I love the idea that obviously he can grow with this room for some time and it is so versatile! Thanks so much for sharing and I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow... I love the wall paper! t`he whole room is amazing, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, lucky boy!!!!! The room is just beautiful, the attention to detail is fantastic! well done!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! I'm so in love with owls right now. This is on the top of my favorites. Very tasteful and perfect for your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! I love this room on so many levels! The mix of design elements and just all of the incredible details. Did you say that wall treatment was a stencil?? If so you are a better woman than I am because that must have taken forever! LOL! It is all truly fantastic and will be a room he can enjoy for many years to come. Thank you so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday~you are incredibly talented and creative! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just absolutely love the owl stenciled wall. It takes the whole project up the extra notch. That is one lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful room! I love the vintage touches and that owl stenciled wall and the little desk and chair are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite is the feeding trough as a book holder. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous room! I am always looking for inspiration for boys rooms. They can be so hard. I am in the process of working on my sons' room now. I love the Dash and Albert rug you chose! Ironically, I just posted about cleaning mine today!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, I love it. No, I L-O-V-E it! We just switched my son into a bed from a crib, but your son's room is over the top amazing! I'm going to poke around and start following you too so I can keep up!

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a unique and fun little boy's room. I love how you took your time with picking out each individual piece, and I LOVE the neutral palette with all the different textures. Great job!

    Thanks so much for linking up with Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful redo, and so nice to have a space that they can grow in to. They only like Disney for so long :) Your new follower- Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe its the same room. What a lucky little boy:) Love his hair, I have 3 redheaded grandbabies! Just dropping in from Friday Shout Out to invite you to share this at Freedom Fridays:) So hoping to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining Freedom Fridays. Hoping you are having a marvelous weekend!

      Delete
  20. I am inviting you to come and be part of my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/05/show-your-stuff-24-bread-machine-banana.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi ladies! So glad I found your blog - am your newest follower! I love this boys room - so classy and perfect for a boy without being over the top themey! Where did you get the sheets? I love them and they would fit perfectly in my son's bedroom! Please visit my blog and say hello - I love to make new bloggy friends and follow me back if you would like to keep in touch! Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heather,
    I bought the sheets at TJ Maxx. I think they cost $30. They had two sets, and I only picked up the one. I was so bummed when I went back the next day to buy the second set and they were gone! Good Luck.
    Rebekah
    So glad you are following us! We love bloggy friends too! Headed over to see your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tanya,
    We are so excited you are following us!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what a fabulous room, I am sure your son loves it. Heck, I want a room like that. I am your new Linky follower.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love so many things about this room. The owl stenciled wall is amazing and the chair looks fabulous. WHat a lucky boy to have such a great room. Thanks for linking to the Home Decor and Organizing Link Party. I'm featuring this today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. oddly, i want to move into your son's room! this is waaaaay too cool for a wee little one! just found you via boogieboard cottage and i love your style.

    btw, we're moving to NC in a few months so, perhaps, we'll cross paths at a TJ Maxx here or there!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful job you've done! :) All the aspects of the room are interesting and so well thought out. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm in love with this room!! The owl wall is incredible!

    I featured on FB/twitter/pinterest yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. it's sooooo super cute!!! thanks for linking up to Make it MOnday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. LUV! I am featuring it tomorrow during Sticker Time!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Came over from Beez's to see this makeover. How lucky is your little man -he can live here until he is an adult. How clever your selections. I laughed about the Southern thing with monograms -every Christmas I receive some gift with my initials on it! The most fabulous characteristic of this design is the owl wall - it is hard to believe it is a stencil. I'll be back over to learn more!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  32. Where can I find the owl stencil? It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Liz,
    I bought the owl stencil at Hobby Lobby. I used a 40% off coupon so it cost me less than $2. All the information about the stenciling project can be found by clicking on the link above in the body of my post. Good Luck. Please send me a picture of your project.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This room is ready for a magazine shoot. Just gorgeous. Love the stenciled wall. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  35. His space turned out great! That owl stencil has to be the cutest I've ever seen! I thought it was wallpaper at first. I love that this is a space that will grow with him.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for all your kind words! It means the world to me. Blogging is so much work, but when I receive so many positive comments, it makes it all worth while!

    Rebekah :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is just too too cute!! I love that wall of owls - and the fact that you did it with a stencil instead of it being wallpaper is just awesome! I've seen this featured on some blogs already - it deserves all the 'press' it gets:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorogeous room! I love the fabrics and the owl wall is fabulous. What a great room that will serve for many years to come! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark - I'll be featuring this on Sunday. Have a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks so much for linking up to Make the Scene Monday...you are being featured later today!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What an incredible room! Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is a lovely bedroom! Thanks for sharing it at Frugal Treasures party.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Woah! This room is AMAZING! You did such a great job! I love the stenciling idea! Very creative!

    Stopping by from the blog hop over @ The Grant Life :)

    --kendall
    songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just love this room! So cool! What a great mom you are for making such a special place for your little one. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is the cutest little boy's room that I've seen in a long time. I poured over all of the details that you included in it. Congratulations on all of the features that you've had on other blogs. Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is incredible! I thought for sure the owl print was wallpaper. I'm sure the stenciling took quite a long time, but the room looks great. Props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is fantastic-just breath-taking! I found you through HomeTalk and am a new follower via GFC and Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Totally in love with this makeover!!!

    ReplyDelete

  48. Erectile dysfunction is defined as regular difficulties getting or maintaining enough of an erection for satisfying sexual intercourse. The key word here is “regular.” It’s normal for men to have problems getting hard occasionally, but when successful erections become the exception rather than the rule, or when they flat out don’t happen anymore, that’s ED — and that can be a sign there’s something going on. ED is really bothersome, but it usually isn’t serious. In about 20% of cases though, ED can be a warning sign that you might have an undiagnosed health condition such as heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or depression. Or maybe there’s another cause such as being overweight, smoking, drinking too much alcohol, certain medications, stress, relationship difficulties, or hormonal problems. Your doctor will run some simple tests to see if whatever is causing your ED is reversible. If so, treating those causes may well improve your ED without the need for ED medications. But even if they aren’t easily reversible, medications for ED are safe, available, and effective in 70% of cases. At the time this page was last reviewed, these were the lowest Medixo Centre prices for a 30-day supply of a typical dose of each medication: Sildenafil (generic Viagra): $5.28 for thirty 50 mg pills || Tadalafil (generic Cialis): $7.07 for thirty 10 mg pills.
    erectile dysfunction medications online
    tadalafil tablets 20 mg india
    buy dapoxetine in usa
    sildenafil citrate online

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hello Guys I am Saisha Chaddha From Town Call Girl. If You Are Looking For a Beautiful looking in Town Then Contact me. I am Hot and Sexy Looking Charming and Beautiful Call Girl in Town. I m a very Nice Companion in and of the bed.
    Aravalli call girls
    Banaskantha call girls
    Mehsana call girls
    Patan call girls
    Sabarkantha call girls
    Saurashtra Kutch call girls
    Botad call girls
    Devbhoomi Dwarka call girls
    Gir Somnath call girls
    Porbandar call girls

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great information!!! Thanks for your wonderful informative blog.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete
  51. As travel is starting we need to follow some precautionary measures that we need to wear masks, use proper sanitizers. Wash our hand again and again after some time also if we filling sick then we must avoid traveling. These are some main measures which we need to follow.
    Uttarakhand tour package

    ReplyDelete
  52. Step-by-Step Hacking Tutorials about WiFi hacking,
    Kali Linux, Metasploit, exploits, ethical hacking, information security, malware analysis and scanning
    hacking Tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  53. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Welcome to klmangaa, your portal to a world of literary treasures that come to life on each page! A beautiful selection of books that appeal to all sophisticated readers is displayed on our shelves. No matter what genre you prefer—warming romances, suspenseful mysteries, grand adventures, or compelling stories—there is something for everyone in this collection.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Congratulations on completing your Little Man's Room! It's always exciting to see a project come together after putting in time and effort.

    Starting with the curtain fabric is a great approach, especially when it comes to budgeting. Curtains often require a significant amount of yardage and can be a substantial expense. By choosing the fabric first, you can establish the color scheme and overall aesthetic of the room.

    While you mentioned not remembering the exact budget for the room, it's understandable that life can sometimes get in the way and cause delays or changes in plans. The important thing is that you were able to bring the room together and create a space that you and your little one can enjoy.
    Jobs Listings
    Visit Serafelagi.com!
    If you have any specific questions or would like to share more details or pictures of the room, feel free to do so. I'm here to help and celebrate your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity